A mansion full of history
The Villa Excelsior was built from 1895-1897 as “Villa Dr. Wassing” by the famous cure-doctor Anton Wassing. In these times Sigmund Freud spent his summer vacations from 1916 – 1923 in his “…favourite spa-resort, in middle of the beauty of the Alps”.
In 1938 the Straubinger family – who already owned the well-known Straubinger hotel next to the waterfall – took over the villa and changed the name into “Haus Goldeck”. From 1957 to 2000 the hotel was used as a cure-house for priests by the Prelate Simon Dietmann, who
built a new wing with 6 thermal baths, rooms and the large hotel chapel.
The vending to an apartment company failed in 2000 and so the hotel was closed until Christof Erharter bought the villa and renovated the building based on original plans from 1895 and reopened the hotel in the summer 2003.